Administrative Assistant interview questions
Administrative Assistants are responsible for clerical and administrative tasks to maintain the overall flow of organizational operations. They coordinate the distribution of information internally and externally by addressing inquiries, directing phone calls or emails, scheduling meetings and maintaining record-keeping systems. Performing in this role requires strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and collaboration within and across departments to achieve organizational goals.
Core skills for an Administrative Assistant
Attention to Detail
Interviews that effectively assess core Administrative Assistant skills
While it might seem difficult to figure out whether a candidate will succeed as an Administrative Assistant in your company, a well-developed set of interview questions that tap into the core skills required to perform in an Administrative Assistant role will go a long way in helping you decide.
But where do you start? How do you create a set of great interview questions for Administrative Assistants?
The best Admin Assistant interview questions come directly from a job analysis. A job analysis is an evidence-based method that focuses on assessing key features of a particular role. These features describe both the job itself (i.e., tasks, responsibilities, and performance objectives), and the characteristics required of someone to perform successfully in the job (e.g., knowledge, skills, and abilities). A job analysis forms the basis of many HR practices such as compensation, performance management, and - you guessed it - how to interview and hire candidates.
Interview questions and answers for Administrative Assistants
At Hireguide, we’ve done the job analysis work for you. We’ve used the method to identify a core set of skills associated with the Administrative Assistant role, and we’ve developed and validated a list of behavioral and situational questions with answer guides that tap directly into those core skills.
And that’s not all. We’ve compiled these questions and created an Administrative Assistant Interview Template for you that integrates other interviewing best practices. Skills-based interviews will not only help you make higher quality and evidence-based hiring decisions, but research also shows they enhance fairness and reduce bias in your hiring process.
Administrative Assistant interview guide (Hireguide preview)
Admin Assistant interview question sample 1
Tell me about a time you made an error on an invoice or report. What did you do, and how would you avoid making that mistake again in the future?
- Clearly describes the situation and the error they made
- Elaborates on how the error was spotted and fixed
- Understands what caused the error and the implications of it
- Discusses learnings and key takeaways to avoid the mistake in the future
Admin Assistant interview question sample 2
Describe a time you improved an aspect of the office document management system to support efficiency in business operations. What did you do and what was the outcome?
- Describes the context and identifies why an improvement to the system was needed
- Clearly explains the improvements they made to the filing system
- Elaborates on the outcome of their actions
- Explains how they introduced/communicated the new system to their colleagues
- Discusses best practices and takeaways
Admin Assistant interview question sample 3
Imagine you are asked to contact vendors for an event and research suppliers for office supplies. You also have to answer calls, reply to emails and provide support to office visitors. How do you prioritize these tasks?
- Distinguishes between important tasks and urgent tasks
- Considers the time and value of each task (deadlines, business impact, etc.)
- Shares examples of prioritizing from past experience
- Elaborates on an effective prioritizing system for administrative tasks