Specific duties of a Marketing Assistant can vary from business to business — along with factors like company culture, work environment, and team dynamics — it’s vital to tailor any job description and interview content to your company’s needs and expectations.
Hiring Guide: Marketing Assistant
Marketing Assistant interview templates
Featuring content from professionals at companies like:
Why you should hire a Marketing Assistant
Marketing Assistants support a company's marketing team by assisting with ongoing campaigns, administrative tasks, and other department activities. They help ensure the Marketing Department operates effectively and efficiently to help the business achieve it's strategic goals and long-term growth of the company.
In this hiring guide, we'll provide everything you need to hire a great Marketing Assistant.
Top 12 skills for Marketing Assistants
Marketing Technical Support
Contributing to Impactful Content
Sample Marketing Assistant job description
Marketing Assistants are responsible for clerical and administrative tasks which maintain and support efficiency in marketing campaigns. They often support marketing managers and executives with all activities in the marketing pipeline including planning and development, executing and evaluating marketing activities. Marketing Assistants can further support the marketing team by identifying market trends, creating marketing materials, collecting feedback, monitoring active marketing campaigns, conducting data analysis as well as maintaining marketing platforms (e.g., social media, websites, blogs, etc). Performing this role requires strong organizational and communication skills, creativity, as well as the ability to collaborate well with others.
Sample questions for Marketing Assistants
Imagine you receive three urgent requests at the same time: 1) proofread a blog post that should already be live; 2) send out a reminder about a webinar that starts in an hour; and 3) call the CEO to answer a specific question. How would you decide which order to accomplish these tasks?
Alycia Damp, PhD IRHR
What does this question reveal?
Candidate has the ability to balance competing, time-sensitive tasks
- Discusses assessing each task's importance and time-sensitivity
- Outlines how they would prioritize each task, with clear reasoning
- Shows commitment to completing all tasks as efficiently as possible
- Discusses managing expectations and asking for help if needed
- Discusses considering how to avoid similar situations in the future
Tell me about how you’ve analyzed data in the past to help inform a set of marketing objectives for the marketing team. How did you analyze the data, and which tools did you use?
Haya Bakour, MSc I/O Psychology
What does this question reveal?
Candidate has the ability to conduct data analysis to monitor and inform marketing objectives
- Explains the type of data they analyzed and which objectives they informed
- Discusses specific data analytics methods/tools that are relevant to the marketing function
- Explains their analytic technique and data analysis process
- Discusses trends/patterns they identified and draws conclusions
- Notes any tools they used to support their analysis