Specific duties of a Visual/Graphic Designer can vary from business to business — along with factors like company culture, work environment, and team dynamics — it’s vital to tailor any job description and interview content to your company’s needs and expectations.
Hiring Guide: Visual/Graphic Designer
Visual/Graphic Designer interview templates
Featuring content from professionals at companies like:
Why you should hire a Visual/Graphic Designer
Visual/Graphic Designers help companies achieve success by creating visual designs for a variety of digital platforms to promote brand awareness and market products or services. They are often responsible for both marketing and technical aspects of design creation and play a critical role throughout many stages of product and brand development.
In this hiring guide, we'll provide everything you need to hire a great Visual/Graphic Designer
Top skills for Visual/Graphic Designers
Teamwork and Communication
Foundational Design Skills
Brand Development and Promotion
Managing Design Processes and Delivery
Sample Visual/Graphic Designer job description
A Visual Designer (sometimes referred to as Graphic or Digital Designer) creates designs that are oriented towards what a user sees/experiences on a screen. Visual Designers design for a variety of different platforms depending on the company’s offerings and are responsible for creating the concepts, artwork, and layouts for digital products based on client meetings and creative briefs. As many tasks are project or industry specific, companies may search for designers with expertise in a particular area.
Regardless of industry expertise, the general responsibilities of a Visual Designer include establishing brand and creative guidelines for a particular interface (e.g., websites, technology products, apps, games), creating user-centered interaction models to design for user flow and experience, design logos, icons, and/or infographics, and create/manage/organize a collection of design assets for a company. Visual Designers also work closely with other designers, information technology professionals, and marketing teams to develop creative design solutions that help a company achieve its strategic business goals.
Sample questions for Visual/Graphic Designers
One of our core products/services is [insert product/service]. How would you go about differentiating our product in the market through design?
What does this question reveal?
Candidate has the ability to identify relevant key concepts for market differentiation
- Proposes a design concept for differentiation (e.g. identifies goals, defines audience, monitors results)
- Identifies the message the design should portray
- Highlights strategies to reach the target audience of interest
- Suggests using a variety of media to communicate a particular idea and identity
- Demonstrates an ability to build brand identity, recognizability and prominence
Imagine you're working on a webpage design, but your client is indecisive on objectives and wants to test multiple ideas. How would you work with the client to satisfy their needs while using appropriate design strategies?
What does this question reveal?
Candidate has the ability to adapt to client requests and identify when to use low and high fidelity wireframes
- Prioritizes understanding the customer's vision and goals
- Shows they can constantly adapt their communication tactics and suggestions to the customer
- Suggests soliciting pointed and specific feedback at multiple points through iterations
- Acknowledges that low-fidelity wireframes and working with basics in such a scenario is ideal
- Chooses the customer's needs when making decisions that require trade-offs